Wednesday, June 3, 2009

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest #3

For this post I wonder about the chiefs actions one nightin the story. As everyone knows the chief had been acting like he couldn't speak, read, and hear people. However, I wonder was does he speak to McMurphy in this part of the book. My original thought dealt with the turnabout in leadership in the ward. Just as everyones hopes negan to die, and life returned to the normal order of things McMurphy quickly sprang back into action giving life to this inhuman place. With the fishing trip on the horizon, and McMurphy in change again the people who were forced to inhabit this place (whether it be by law, or be there on humiliation) felt alittle bit of self respect wash over them. Just like on the ride to the fishing trip it can be seem that they were no longer the quiet nearly lifeless unopinionated people they were before. They were given their voices back, and this was also the case with the chief. With McMurphy's help it seems like the chief was given a reason to actually speak. I don't think it was as accidently as everyone thinks. He might not of wanted to let him know, but I think part of him deep in his mind wanted to. McMurphy has helped chief in a few ways. With his help bettering the ward the chief cold start remembering his past, and was given a chance to speak. So this are the reasons that I think the chief finally broke his years of silence to McMurphy.

No comments:

Post a Comment