Sunday, May 3, 2009
Hamlet Act 1
After reading the entire play of Hamlet I have to go back to this post and write my thoughts about sight in the play. A question that has many people baffled in Hamlet is why, or why not certain people in the play can see the ghost of old king Hamlet. Today I write a possible explination. I believe that the only people that can see the ghost are people that remained loyal to the old king, and/or mourned and prayed for him. I believe this cause Hamlet, and Horatio can easily see the ghost of old King Hamlet. Since Hamlet had been constantly been mourning his father's death it seems likely that it could be the reason. Hamlet had also remaine loyal to his father as he angered by his Uncles rapid rise to power, as well as his mother's nearly instant betrail of he late husband when she remarried. This could also be the reason why Hamlet's mother couldn't see the ghost when they were both in her closet having their conversation. The only other people that had seen the ghost were gaurds that patrolled the castle at night. Since they served the king the must have atleast shown loyalty to the old King Hamlet. So I believe that is the reason why some of the characters can see the ghost of Hamlet, where others cannot.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment